Monday, 21 February 2011

Chinese New Year!!!

CHINESE NEW YEAR!

How awful is it that I'm getting on a bit but I actually knew very little about the Chinese New Year, I had no idea where the animals came from or how they were linked to people and their personality traits. When I first met my husband I always remember him referring himself to a snake,to be quite honest I thought it was a joke that I just didn't get (story of my life!!!)
One of the greatest things about home ed is that we can choose as a family exactly what we want to learnt and we can do it in the way we want, this topic was supported by a lapbook.
I love lapbooks so much, they offer a guiding light to me and support my learning which in turn helps the children, I'm an absolute believer in if a child or adult enjoys what they are learning they will remember it so much better than if they are just told.
For this reason I like to incorporate lots of art and creativeness into our learning and here are a few things we did to whilst we studied The Chinese New Year!!!!


Sophie made a dragon head/mask.

Shannon helped created a fabulous dragon head.
Both Casey and Alex made the Emerald Prince.
They created Chinese New Year animal style biscuits.

They will love me for posting this picture but as you can see they are each wearing the mask that represents their Chinese New Year animal! This year is Shannon's year, the Year of the RABBIT!!!

Now I know why Rich is a snake, I understand the reasonings behind the conversations we had when we were first courting and I myself feel happier knowing this and we finished the evening off with a massive chinese from our very own Derry @ Jade Palce, by far the best Chinese in the Bay and it was extremly yummy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment